Pages

Sunday 16 October 2016

Rolling Along.

As a great man once said, you're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on. But that's got nothing to do with anything. Click this link and donate some of yer readies, please: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Martin-Palmer5

I'm sure you're already thirsty for another Exciting New Drinks post, so fear not, as this is one. You know, there's going to come a time in the not-too-distant future, when the world's infrastructure collapses, that blog posts will replace food and water. Humans will evolve to take digitally disseminated data as sustenance, you mark my words. But anyway, this post isn't going to be about that... This post is about Erdinger Alkoholfrei.

First, though, I must talk about Beck's Blue. This is, as I have said before, the most common alcohol-free lager that I've seen on my travels. It's okay if you want to get a bit of a bitter tang, but it has a bit of an overly-metallic aftertaste that stops me from really enjoying it, and in general reminds me that it's not proper beer. It is common with some European lagers to get a bit of a metallic taste [I think some of the Alsatian hops tend to have it. At least, cheap French lagers are generally the ones I taste this in], but not to this extent. In short, it's an ok drink, not more compelling than that.

Second, I must talk about Rothaus Alkoholfrei. This is, in my opinion, better than Beck's Blue. It has less of the metallic aftertaste, which would already make it a winner, but the roundedness of the lager flavour is there as well. The bitterness and the malty notes balance well, and there's even a decent mouthfeel. Good stuff, but still not quite there.

NOW is the time to talk about Erdinger Alkoholfrei. Or should I waste another paragraph talking about something else? No, I suppose I'll put you out of your misery... This beer is so nice, I think that if I can get another bottle to take home with me, I might review it on All Hail the Ale, a site which reviews and revels in beer in all shapes and sizes. The strap-line for this beer is that it's the closest non-alcoholic beverage to beer that I've had. They are very keen to highlight its health properties [it's isotonic [apparently all alcohol-free stuff naturally is, according to the Rothaus website, but I digress] and full of vitamins, so they say], but I'm just focussed on the taste. One site I looked at described its genuine wheat beer taste. I'd say it was heavily malty, and a bit bready, but not much like wheat beers I've had. They're usually sharper/crisper and with a sort-of fresh wheat, dryish mouthfeel [yes I realise that sounds stupid. I'm having trouble saying what I mean [as usual]]. Regardless of my differing of opinion with respect to how to describe it, all I want to say is that the flavour was great, I enjoyed it, and I'll definitely seek it out in future.

Now I'll really put you out of your misery by signing off. Byeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just keep it clean (ish)!