Pages

Friday 17 April 2015

Peter Barlow's Cigarette #13

Wow and eek. Need I say more? I needn't, but will anyway... I'm set to read at the next Peter Barlow's Cigarette which is both a massive privilege [hence the 'wow'], but pretty scary too [hence the 'eek']. I'd like to thank Richard Barrett for both of these tri-lettered ejaculations, as he was instrumental in getting me on the list.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more the 'eek' boils in my stomach... I've only read out in public once before at Storm and Golden Sky, and that was different in a number of ways. Temporally different: a time when I didn't have the work pressures I do now, restricting time to write [and drink]. Conceptually different: set up by, amongst others, a very supportive ex-tutor, which made me feel I was in a very safe environment. Geographically different: doesn't make a right lot of difference, but at least I knew where I was going last time.

The eek's shriek gets shriller when the 'wow' of the other poets is positioned next to it. It's nuts to be on the same bill as all these talents. I follow Allen, Ashcroft, Barrett, Taylor, Thurston, so they're the big stars for me, but I know of plenty of the others, and know that by virtue of their inclusion they're of a high standard. I'm not saying this as a 'pity me' thing, but I feel a fraud next to them.

Having said that, I'm going to give it as good a go as I can. I have something promising [in my own words...], some things haikuy, a more conceptual idea - which'll depend on if I get time to try it - and, of course, there's a deconstructivist piece I could dust off. And now the 'wow' feeling rises again!

Click on the links below to find out more about the event. Hope to see you there.

Peter Barlow's Cigarette #13 on Facebook
Peter Barlow's Cigarette on Twitter
Peter Barlow's Cigarette on Tumblr [with nice videos]

And if you want any more than that, then quite frankly you're greedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just keep it clean (ish)!